Giving and receiving gratitude is a wholesome and pure feeling that can spark compassion, positivity and inspiration. Gratitude has been shown to improve physical and psychological health according to Forbes. By practicing gratitude and sharing it with others, you’ll find yourself improving your self-esteem, increasing your mental strength, sleeping better and more! By the time you finish reading our gratitude messages, you’ll find yourself printing out gratitude cards for every person who has a special place in your heart. Start saying thank you today!
The Oxford Dictionary defines gratitude as “the quality of being thankful” and a “readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.” Knowing this, we can look back at times in our lives when we’ve practiced and received gratitude. Recognizing these times is valuable to accomplishing daily gratitude. It’s one thing to understand the definition of gratitude, but comprehending its importance is necessary as well. Without gratitude, people can feel less competent and experience negative emotions. To combat this, daily gratitude exercises can help.
Gratitude Exercises to Practice Daily
There are numerous advantages to practicing gratitude, including emotional and social health and development benefits. Making a habit of expressing gratitude helps you lead a life of happiness and purpose. We welcome you to the idea of a “gratitude gym,” where you’ll pump appreciation and empathy exercises instead of iron! See below for gratitude workouts to practice. You’ll see the results from the gratitude gym in no time!
- Smile – Yes, sometimes we all need a reminder for this simple act of gratitude. Smiling is proven to boost your mood instantly, even if you’re not in a positive mindset. Keep a sticky note of a smiley face on your desk or agenda to prompt you throughout the day.
- Create a gratitude jar – Grab a jar (or even an old flower vase) and use it as a gratitude jar. Fill up the jar with little snippets of paper that note everything you’re grateful for. Don’t be afraid to write down whatever comes to mind!
- Balance your complaints – For every complaint, think of one positive. This positive can be an acceptance, a compliment, praise or accomplishment. Once you start, it can take some time for it to become a habit, but it will become easier the more you do it.
- Give thanks – “Thank you” will be your middle name after practicing this gratitude workout. Becoming more aware of giving gratitude will help you see the value of your relationships in life. The people you give thanks to may not expect it, which will happily surprise them.
- Write in a gratitude journal – The purpose of this exercise is to reflect on your past few days or weeks to focus on all the good in your life — trust us, there’s more than you think! Grab a notebook and set reminders to write in it daily. See below for some awesome gratitude journal prompts to help you get started.
45 Gratitude Messages for Every Occasion + Gratitude Journal Prompts
Sometimes we’re at a loss for words and can’t express the amount of gratitude we have for the special people in our lives. There are people that we want to express our appreciation to and let them know their value. We have messages for every one of those extraordinary relationships in your life to convey your gratefulness.
Gratitude to Show Your Parents
Parents see us at our best and worst, yet continue to dedicate their whole selves to us. The best way to voice your love for them is to send them a quick message out of the blue.
- Thank you for raising me with all the care and kindness in the world. You have taught me infinite love and affection.
- I will always have a special place for you in my heart. Thank you for raising me to be the person I am now.
- The sacrifices you have made for me do not go unnoticed. Your loving kindness is a beautiful blessing in my life.
- You’ve made life a glorious gift that I cherish daily. I admire your wisdom and the affection that you so graciously share with me.
- You have taught me how to solve and understand life’s biggest pressures. I am eternally appreciative that I have two wonderful and thoughtful people to look up to.
Lunch Box Notes for Kids
We love our little ones and want them to know they are shining stars that we very much appreciate in our lives. To acknowledge their blessing, place a supportive note in their lunchbox and make their day.
- Thank you for being you! Have a super day.
- I am proud of everything you do, keep up the wonderful work.
- You are incredibly special to me, I love you.
- You’re always my #1. You rock!
- I am thinking about you right now, you make me so happy!
Cute Love Notes to Show Your Appreciation
Your significant other may be the most important person to you on this earth and there is no greater way to express it than telling them. Whether it’s your anniversary or just because, let them know with love notes that every day you’re together is the best day of your life.
- I knew you were special to me the first time I saw you. I know I will love you forever.
- I have found the love of my life and my best friend. Thank you for being so good to me and for making me the best version of myself.
- When I follow my heart, it leads me to you. I’m so happy that you are mine.
- Be my always, have my heart, and I will forever be there for you.
- My happiness is your happiness and I wouldn’t want it any other way. You’re the best thing that has happened to me.
Friends are there through thick and thin and they always have your back, even if you’re miles apart. Show them your gratitude by sending them a kind message, especially when they least expect it.
- You’re there when I need you and always manage to put the biggest smile on my face. Thank you for being you.
- I am inspired by your compassion, generosity and honesty. Your kind actions and gestures are enlightening to many.
- You’ve taught me a lot about myself I wouldn’t have known otherwise. You push me to be greater than I ever thought I could be.
- I am incredibly fortunate to have such a bright and positive influence in my life. Thank you for always making me feel so special.
- You’ll never understand how much you’ve helped me in many aspects of my life. For this, I am forever grateful.
Teacher Appreciation Messages
Knowledge is invaluable, and one of the best ways to improve ourselves. The lessons teachers offer us are truly priceless — they deserve a big thank you. Give them a note of gratitude to acknowledge the precious inspiration they provide.
- Thank you for being a positive role model, I know you have touched the lives of many (if not all) of your students and fellow faculty members.
- Your passion and insightful knowledge have helped me reach goals I never thought I could accomplish.
- Your willingness to help others doesn’t go unnoticed. You motivate students to become the best version of themselves. Thank you for every lesson you have taught us.
- Classes, homework and lessons are incredibly interesting when they’re instructed by you! I appreciate all the amazing days you brighten for me.
- You believed in me when no one else did, and now I owe you a tremendous amount of thanks for helping me accomplish my aspirations.
Thank You Notes to Your Boss
Our bosses are the ones we report and look up to almost every day. They give us the tools to achieve our ambitions and create a vision. We can’t thank them enough for taking us under their wings and bringing out the leader in each of us. Send a message to your boss, whether they’re retiring or simply doing a great job — they deserve to hear your kind words.
- The quality of your leadership motivates me to continue producing superior work. Thank you for being a phenomenal role model.
- Your continued compassion and guidance have helped brighten my career and professional life.
- I am forever grateful for the expertise and skills you have instilled in me. It’s been a wonderful experience to work by your side.
- Our entire team is blessed with your leadership. Thank you for your support and inspiration.
- You bring out the best in your employees and have taught us numerous valuable lessons that we use nearly every day. You are very skilled and I appreciate the kindness you share.
Gratitude Journal Prompts for Yourself
One of the most effective ways to incorporate gratitude into your life is with a gratitude journal. As we mentioned earlier, a gratitude journal will remind you of all the good in your life and help you focus on the positives. You can write anything in the journal that comes to mind! Follow our prompts to get a head start with your gratitude journal!
- List 10 hobbies or activities that bring you joy.
- Who has made you smile this week and why?
- What is your favorite memory with your best friends?
- What is your favorite memory with your mother/father/sibling?
- What do you like most about the city or town you live in?
- What is the biggest accomplishment in your professional life?
- What is the biggest accomplishment in your personal life?
- Share one of the funniest jokes you’ve recently heard.
- Name a skill you’ve recently mastered.
- Name three things that cheer you up on a rough day.
- What are your favorite things about this current season (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall)?
- List one to three things you have been putting off but accomplished recently.
- Write down your favorite quote.
- List 10 qualities you like about yourself.
- Describe a time you were a leader.
After reading all of these messages, we feel very grateful for everyone in our lives. Whether you want to say thank you or apologize, surprise your friends and family with a lovely printable gratitude card. Send the message with some flowers for the ultimate sign of recognition. Let us know which gratitude prompts resonate most with you.