“Gratitude is one of the least articulate of the emotions, especially when it is deep.” – Felix Frankfurter, American Supreme Court Justice
When you feel extremely thankful for someone, translating your gratitude into words can be difficult. How can you express such a deep feeling with only a sentence or two? Since thank you sayings date back hundreds of years, you can look to iconic phrases to help you communicate your appreciation.
We’ve put together 100 of the best thank you quotes. Search by recipient or sentiment to optimize your hunt for the perfect saying. Whether you’re thanking a parent, friend or mentor, these quotes are sure to reflect your gratitude and pair nicely with flowers or a gift basket.
Quotes for Teachers
Teachers and mentors are often the unsung heroes in the lives of you or your children. Acknowledging their hard work and dedication with a sincere appreciation quote reminds them why they do what they do.
1. “To the world you may just be a teacher, but to your students you are a HERO.” – Unknown
2. “A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind and touches a heart.” – Unknown
3. “The influence of a great teacher can never be erased.” – Unknown
4. “Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.” – Colleen Wilcox
5. “Not all superheroes have capes, some have teaching degrees.” – Unknown
6. “I think the teaching profession contributes more to the future of society than any other single profession.” – John Wooden
7. “Because my teacher believed in me, I never gave up. Now I am flying towards my dreams.” – Heidi McDonald
8. “Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.” – Andy Rooney
9. “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” – Henry Brooks Adams
10. “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me.” – Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers)
Quotes for Friends
True friends stay by your side through thick and thin — they are in your life because they choose to be. Convey your thanks to your best friend with these quotes and sayings.
1. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” – William Shakespeare
2. “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
3. “A friend is what the heart needs all the time.” – Henry Van Dyke
4. “Of all possessions a friend is the most precious.” – Herodotus
5. “One thing I’ve learned is when you find a best friend in this life, you better hang on.” – Jim Nabors
6. “Things are never quite as scary when you have a best friend.” – Bill Watterson
7. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
8. “A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.” – Arnold H. Glasow
9. “I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar.” – Robert Brault
10. “Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
11. “A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.” – Bernard Meltzer
12. “Best friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.” – Unknown
13. “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” – C.S. Lewis
14. “It takes a long time to grow an old friend.” – John Leonard
Quotes for Moms
When it comes to recognizing your mom for her unconditional love, there are no words to describe your thankfulness and admiration. However, these phrases can get pretty close.
1. “For your thoughtfulness and generosity, from you I have learned much of life’s philosophy — Thank you sincerely.” – Unknown
2. “I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, but for you my heart has no bottom.” – Unknown
3. “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
4. “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
5. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Mermillod
6. “I look back on my childhood and thank the stars above. For everything you gave me, but mostly for your love.” – Wayne F. Winters
7. “A mother is the truest friend we have…” – Washington Irving
8. “There are so many times you will feel you have failed, but in the eyes, heart and mind of your child, you are super mom.” – Stephanie Precourt
9. “Mom, thank you for always modeling the utmost strength, determination, and work ethic.” – Steph Gold
10. “A Mother holds her children’s hands for a while…their hearts forever.” – Unknown
11. “My parents are my backbone. Still are. They’re the only group that will support you if you score zero or you score 40.” – Kobe Bryant
Quotes for Dads
While moms get the majority of the praise, it’s also important to remember the things that dads do for their children. Let your dad know that you’re grateful for his affection and sacrifices.
1. “To the WORLD you are a dad. To our FAMILY, you are the world.” – Unknown
2. “Any man can be a Father, it takes someone special to be a Dad.” – Unknown
3. “A dad is someone you should look up to no matter how tall you grow.” – Unknown
4. “The power of a dad in a child’s life is unmatched.” – Justin Ricklefs
5. “Becoming a dad is one thing — being a dad is many things.” – Steve Chapman
6. “Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.” – Ruth E. Renkel
7. “A father is someone who carries pictures in his wallet where his money used to be.” – Unknown
8. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
9. “My Dad is my hero.” – Harry Connick, Jr.
10. “When my father didn’t have my hand…he had my back.” – Linda Poindexter
11. “Parental love is the only love that is truly selfless, unconditional and forgiving.” – Dr. T.P. Chia
Quotes for Kids
It’s important to teach your children about the power of appreciation so they can implement it in their own lives. These simple eye-opening quotes offer great insights to what it means to be thankful.
1. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” – Frank A. Clark
2. “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
3. “It isn’t what you have in your pocket that makes you thankful, but what you have in your heart.” – Unknown
4. “Silent gratitude isn’t very much use to anyone.” – Gertrude Stein
5. “If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
6. “If you really are thankful, what do you do? You share.” – W. Clement Stone
7. “Gratitude can turn common days into thanksgivings…” – William Arthur Ward
8. “Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude.” – A.A. Milne
9. “Let us be grateful to the people that make us happy…” – Marcel Proust
10. “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you…” – Brian Tracy
Quotes for Veterans
Living peacefully while wars waged overseas made it easy to forget the hardships that veterans endured for our sake. Use these quotes to say “thank you for your service” in a truly heartfelt manner.
1. “Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls.” – David Thomas
2. “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened.” – Rev. Billy Graham
3. “Peace has victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” – Jeff Miller
5. “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place — police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces.” – Sidney Sheldon
6. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
7. “Never was so much owed by so many to so few.” – Winston Churchill
8. “America’s veterans embody the ideals upon which America was founded more than 229 years ago.” – Steve Buyer
9. “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” – Zeus in Hercules
10. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
Quotes About Appreciation
Appreciation goes a long way for you and the recipient. These iconic quotes will remind you to stay humble and thankful for everything you have.
1. “I can no other answer make but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks.” – William Shakespeare
2. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
3. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
4. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
5. “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama
6. “Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don’t unravel.” – Unknown
7. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – G.K. Chesterton
8. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
9. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” – Eckhart Tolle
10. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” – Gerald Good
Thank You for Being in My Life Quotes
Having a friend or family member that loves you despite your quirks and mistakes is someone you should hold dear. Let them know how much you appreciate having them in your life.
1. “It’s not where you are in life, it’s who you have by your side that matters.” – Unknown
2. “So many people have touched my heart and made an impact on my world. I’m thankful for every lesson and learning experience.” – Bindi Irwin
3. “The older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.” – Mary Schmich
4. “Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life, you can barely remember what life was like without them.” – Anna Taylor
5. “We are two among the wild herds spontaneous as any.” – Walt Whitman
6. “Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming!” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
7. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
Thank You for Believing in Me Quotes
In life, it’s essential to have a support network of loved ones who believe in you. Those who encourage you regardless of your failures or shortcomings deserve special recognition.
1. “Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends.” – Euripides
2. “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer
3. “No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others.” – Alfred North Whitehead
4. “What seems insignificant when you have it is important when you need it.” – Franz Grillparzer
5. “The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” – John E. Southard
6. “Thank you for accepting me as I am, with my virtues and defects.” – Jenni Rivera
Thank You for Forgiving Me Quotes
At some point, you’ll hit some turbulence in your familial, friendly, or romantic relationships. However, it’s how you make amends and get past it that matters.
1. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” – Marianne Williamson
2. “The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven.” – Robert Downey, Jr.
3. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
4. “I believe forgiveness is the best form of love in any relationship. It takes a strong person to say they’re sorry and an even stronger person to forgive.” – Yolanda Hadid
5. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” – Mark Twain
6. “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” – Alexander Pope
7. “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
8. “Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.” – Indira Gandhi
9. “Sweet mercy is nobility’s true badge.” – William Shakespeare
10. “Forgiveness is that subtle thread that binds both love and friendship.” – George Foreman
11. “We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it’s absolutely not; it takes a very strong person to forgive.” – T.D. Jakes
Hopefully these meaningful quotes and sayings from icons like William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln and Oprah Winfrey motivate and inspire you to deeply thank your loved ones.
There’s more to thank people for than giving a gift or holding a door open. Make sure you recognize the special people in your life and all they do for you. Express your genuine gratitude with these thank you quotes and a beautiful bouquet to let them know they are truly loved and appreciated.