From coaches and mentors to grandpas and step-dads there are so many different father figures in our lives who deserve celebration! Father’s Day is the perfect time of year to raise a glass to these loving and caring men and thank them for their years of wisdom and unconditional love. Whether your style is to show your appreciation with a touching Father’s Day quote or with one of their own classic “dad jokes” we’ve rounded up over 100 ways to wish them a “Happy Father’s Day” this holiday.
You might be wondering how to use these Father’s Day quotes if you are celebrating apart? Peruse our ideas below for the perfect way to give a gift and share your Father’s Day saying.
- Say It In a Card: Write out your appreciation in a thoughtful card and attach it to his gift. He’ll cherish a thoughtful saying that comes from the heart.
- Get It Engraved: Engrave a loving saying into a piece of jewelry, a mug or a frame.
- Write it on a T-shirt: Nothing says dad like a custom T-shirt. Share your message on his favorite type of clothing!
- Order Him Dinner: Order his favorite food and have it written on the delivery card!
- Send Him a Plant: Give his work from home space a boost of rejuvenation by sending him a plant or succulent!
Explore all of our favorite Father’s Day sayings below or jump to the certain type of father you’d like a message for.
- Short Father’s Day Quotes
- Good Happy Father’s Day Quotes
- Father’s Day Quotes from a Daughter
- Top Father and Son Quotes
- Inspirational Father’s Day Quotes
- Funny Father’s Day Quotes
- Father’s Day Quotes for Husbands
- Dad Quotes for Uncles
- Father’s Day Quotes for Grandpas
- Father’s Day Quotes for Friends
Short Father’s Day Quotes That Will Make Him Smile
For the no-frills dad, opt for a short Father’s Day quote that is sweet and to the point.
- “My father was my teacher. But most importantly he was a great dad.” — Beau Bridges, Actor
- “Being a great father is like shaving. No matter how good you shaved today, you have to do it again tomorrow.” — Reed Markham, American Educator
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person: he believed in me.” — Jim Valvano, American Basketball Player
- “A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.”— Unknown
- “I’m a father; that’s what matters most. Nothing matters more.” — Gordon Brown, Former British Prime Minister
- “Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.” — Anne Geddes, Photographer
- “Fatherhood is a marathon, not a sprint.” — Paul L. Lewis, Author
- “A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.” — Billy Graham, American Evangelist
- “Great fathers don’t find fault. Great fathers find solutions.” — Reed Markham, American Educator
- “The imprint of a father remains forever on the life of the child.” — Roy Lessin, Teacher
- “No man stands taller than when he stoops to help a child.” — Abraham Lincoln, Former President of the United States
Good Happy Father’s Day Quotes for Every Type of Dad
What are good Father’s Day quotes? For step-dads, brothers and father figures of every kind use one of these classic Father’s Day quotes that speaks to their wisdom and guidance.
- “He adopted a role called being a father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a protector.” — Tom Wolfe, Author
- “My father didn’t do anything unusual. He only did what dads are supposed to do—be there.” — Max Lucado, Author
- “Some people don’t believe in heroes, but they haven’t met my dad.”— Unknown
- “Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that’s why I call you dad, because you are so special to me.” — Wade Boggs, Professional Baseball Player
- “[My father] has always provided me a safe place to land and a hard place from which to launch.” — Chelsea Clinton, American Author
- “What a father says to his children is not heard by the world, but it will be heard by posterity.” — Jean Paul, German Writer
- “Having a kid is like falling in love for the first time when you’re twelve, but every day.” — Mike Meyers, Comedian
- “There is nothing that moves a loving father’s soul quite like his child’s cry.” — Joni Eareckson Tada, Author
- “The nature of fatherhood is that you’re doing something that you’re unqualified to do, and then you become qualified when you do it.” — John Green, Author
- “Good fathers do three things: they provide, they nurture and they guide.” — Roland Warren, Former President of the National Fatherhood Initiative
- “Dads are like chocolate chip cookies; they may have chips or be totally nutty, but they are sweet and make the world a better place, especially for their children.” — Hillary Lytle, Writer
Father’s Day Quotes from a Daughter
There’s nothing quite like a daughter’s relationship with her father. For daddy’s little girl, choose a Father’s Day quote that comes from the heart.
- “Dad: A son’s first hero, a daughter’s first love.” — Unknown
- “On behalf of every man looking out for every girl, you are the God and the weight of her world.” — John Mayer, Singer/Songwriter
- “My father gave me my dreams. Thanks to him, I could see a future.” — Liza Minnelli, Actress
- “I thought I would be more inspired to have all these new feelings to talk about, but I really just want to hang out with my daughter.” — Jay-Z, Rapper
- “Be thankful that you’ve been given that gift because girls are amazing. I would have five more girls if I could. I’m a girl dad.” — Kobe Bryant, American Basketball Player
- “It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping.” — John Sinor, Columnist
- “No man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.” — Hedy Lamarr, American-Austrian Actress
- “To a father growing old, nothing is dearer than a daughter.” — Euripides, Tragedian
- “I think my mom put it best. She said, ‘Little girls soften their daddy’s hearts.’” — Paul Walker, Actor
- “A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men.” — Gregory E. Lang, Author
- “My dad’s my best mate, and he always will be.” — Cher Lloyd, Singer/Songwriter
- “Being a daddy’s girl is like having permanent armor for the rest of your life.” — Marinela Reka, Poet
- “Old as she was, she still missed her Daddy sometimes.” — Gloria Naylor, Novelist
- “You gotta love dads. At my wedding, when I tripped on my wedding dress and fell flat on my face, Dad said, “Don’t worry, you’ll do better next time.”” — Melanie White, Designer
- “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” — Linda Poindexter, Writer
- “Fatherhood is the best thing that could happen to me, and I’m just glad I can share my voice.” — Dwyane Wade, Actor
Top Father and Son Quotes
You know what they say – like father like son! Tell dad all you’ve learned from him with a Father’s Day quote from the perspective of a son.
- “A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.” — Unknown
- “By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.” — Charles Wadsworth, Pianist
- “You don’t have to deserve your mother’s love. You have to deserve your father’s. He’s more particular.” — Robert Frost, Poet
- “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by the little scraps of wisdom.” — Umberto Eco, Italian Writer
- “Becoming a dad means you have to be a role model for your son and be someone he can look up to.” — Wayne Rooney, Soccer Player
- “Every son quotes his father, in words and in deeds.” — Terri Guillemets, Writer
- “A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be.” — Frank A. Clark, Lawyer
- “Lately all my friends are worried they’re turning into their fathers. I’m worried I’m not.” — Dan Zevin, Comedian
- “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” — Johann Schiller, German Poet
- “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” — William Shakespeare, Poet
- “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” — George Herbert, Poet
Inspirational Father’s Day Quotes
Don’t let dad’s heroism go unnoticed. Share an inspirational Father’s Day quote that speaks to what an impact he has made in your life.
- “A dad is someone who wants to catch you when you fall. Instead he picks you up, brushes you off and lets you try again.” — Unknown
- “Any fool can have a child. That doesn’t make you a father. It’s the courage to raise a child that makes you a father.” — Barack Obama, Former President of the United States
- “When you need real understanding, when you need someone to care, when you need someone to guide you … A father’s always there.” — Thomas J. Langley, English Prelate
- “Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.” — Ruth E. Renkel, Author
- “[Fatherhood is] the greatest thing that could ever happen. You can’t explain it until it happens; it’s like telling somebody what water feels like before they’ve ever swam in it.” — Michael Bublé, Singer
- “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back, nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” — Unknown
- “Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father.” — Lydia Maria Childa, Novelist
- “It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.” — Anne Sexton, Poet
- “A father has to be a provider, a teacher, a role model, but most importantly, a distant authority figure who can never be pleased. Otherwise, how will children ever understand the concept of God?” — Stephen Colbert, Comedian
- “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” — Sigmund Freud, Neurologist
- “No one in this world can love a girl more than her father.” — Michael Ratnadeepak, Writer
- “Fatherhood is the best thing I ever did. It changes your perspective. You can write a book, you can make a movie, you can paint a painting, but having kids is really the most extraordinary thing I have taken on.” — Brad Pitt, Actor
- “An almost perfect relationship with his father was the earthly root of all his wisdom.” — C.S. Lewis, Writer
Funny Father’s Day Quotes
For the dad who always has a joke up his sleeve, choose a funny Father’s Day quote that will keep him laughing all day long.
- “Dad taught me everything I know. Unfortunately, he didn’t teach me everything he knows.” — Al Unser, Columnist
- “A father carries pictures where his money used to be.” — Steve Martin, Comedian
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.”— Tim Russert, Journalist
- “Sometimes I’m amazed that my wife and I created two human beings from scratch yet struggle to assemble the most basic of IKEA cabinets.” — John Kinnear, Writer
- “I talk and talk and talk, and I haven’t taught people in 50 years what my father taught by example in one week.” — Mario Cuomo, Former Governor of New York
- “A father’s words are like a thermostat that sets the temperature in the house.” — Paul Lewis, Pianist
- “Having children is a lot like living in a frat house—nobody sleeps, everything’s broken, and there’s a lot of throwing up.” — Ray Romano, Comedian
- “You can tell what was the best year of your father’s life, because they seem to freeze that clothing style and ride it out.” — Jerry Seinfeld, Comedian
- “My father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.” — Spike Milligan, Comedian
Father’s Day Quotes for Husbands
Thank your hubby for all he does with an endearing Father’s day quote for a husband. Invite your little ones to brainstorm their favorite or pick from one of ours below!
- “A good father is one whose only reason for putting down a laughing baby is to pick up a crying one.” — Linda Poindexter, Writer
- “Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.” — Frank Abagnale, Consultant
- “The greatest thing a father can do for his children is love their mother.” — Anjaneth Garcia Untalan, Poet
- “There is a mirror that is held up to me now. You have someone watching you. You have to lead by example.” — John Krazinski, Actor
- “To the world you are a dad. To our family you are the world.” — Unknown
- “The only thing better than having you for a husband is our children having you for a dad.” — Unknown
- “A happy family is a reflection of a good father and a loving husband.” — Unknown
Dad Quotes for Uncles
Uncles are the classic father figure you can trust with anything and will always be there with a joke or a helping hand when you need one. Thank the uncle in your life with one of these dad quotes perfect for uncles.
- “Everyone has an uncle who tried to steal their nose. ” — Peter Clay, Actor
- “Son, brother, father, lover, friend. There is room in the heart for all the affections, as there is room in heaven for all the stars.” — Victor Hugo, French Poet
- “Only the best brothers get promoted to an uncle.” — Unknown
- “Uncles are there to help the child get into mischief they haven’t thought of yet.” — Unknown
- “When you’re a dad, there’s no one above you. If I don’t do something that has to be done, who is going to do it?” — Jonathon Safran Foer, Novelist
- “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.” — Pam Brown, Poet
Father’s Day Quotes for Grandpas
Grandpas are full of wisdom, endearing smiles and a warm hug when you need one. Use one of these father’s day quotes for grandpas to share how much you love him.
- Grandpas bring a little wisdom, happiness, warmth and love to every life they touch.” — Unknown
- “To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms, but absolutely terrified of the word boo.” — Robert Brault, Author
- “A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father.” — Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Novelist
- “I only hope when I have my own family that everyday I see a little more of my father in me.” — Keith Urban, Country Music Artist
- “Grandfathers are for loving and fixing things.” — Unknown
- “We never know the love of a parent till we become parents ourselves.” — Henry Ward Beecher, Minister
- “It’s only when you grow up and step back from him — or leave him for your own home — it’s only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it.” — Margaret Truman, Singer
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.” — Clarence Budington Kelland, Writer
Father’s Day Quotes for Friends
Friends can make the best role models to your children and may be stellar fathers themselves! Use one of these Father’s Day quotes to tell them how much you value their friendship and role they play in your family’s life.
- “A happy family is a reflection of a good father and a loving husband.” — Unknown
- “Every great achiever is inspired by a great mentor.” — Lailah Gifty Akita, Writer
- “A father is a man who expects his children to be as good as he meant to be.” — Carol Coats, Writer
- “A father is the one friend upon whom we can always rely.” — Emile Gaboriau, French Writer
- “What I’ve realized is that life doesn’t count for much unless you’re willing to do your small part to leave our children—all of our children—a better world.” — Neil Patrick Harris, Actor
- “Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end.” — George Strait, Country Music Artist
- “What you teach your children, you also teach their children.” — Unknown
- “Children learn to smile from their parents.” — Shinichi Suzuki, Japanese Musician
- “I had no expectations about fatherhood, really, but it’s definitely a journey I’m glad to be taking.” — Christopher Meloni, Actor
- “It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father.” — Pope John XXIII
However you’d like to shower the dad in your life with love this Father’s Day make sure you tell him just how much he means to you. For inspiration and ideas around the perfect Father’s Day gift, explore our best seller items like meat and cheese baskets and goodies to share! Happy Father’s Day!