Leadership is hardly ever easy –– there are always things to do, teams to manage and an endless stream of problems to solve. While it’s not for everyone, those who do it well shine brightly in their field and inspire us to do our best work while they’re at it.
The workplace can be tough on women, but there are thousands of ladies around the world striving to break the glass ceiling every day. These women take no prisoners, command attention as strong leaders and offer inspiration for new generations of boss women.
With more women than ever holding senior management positions in 2019, it’s time to celebrate the lady bosses in your life. National Boss’s Day is October 16th, making this the perfect time to plan how you’ll shower your boss in gratitude.
Quotes from Creative and Powerful Women
We put together a list of some of the best quotes from incredible women like Michelle Obama, Sarah Blakely and Vera Wang. These ladies are creative, talented leaders who demonstrate what it really means to be a boss lady.
Quotes on Courage
Feeling like a powerful leader all the time is challenging, but courage goes a long way to giving others confidence. Inspire the lady bosses in your life to show no fear with these quotes.
- “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama, First Lady, Lawyer and Author
- “Embrace what you don’t know, especially in the beginning, because what you don’t know can become your greatest asset.” – Sara Blakely, Spanx Founder
Quotes on Leading Your Squad
The people you surround yourself with have the power to make or break you. Follow the wise words of these inspiring women and lead a squad that supports and encourages you.
- “It’s not about expensive ingredients. It’s about people.” – Lady Elizabeth Anson, Celebrity event planner
- “Energy is contagious, so your team and everyone you interact with feels it.” – Tyler Haney, Founder of Outdoor Voices
Quotes on Problem-Solving
Life is not without its challenges –– how you solve problems says a lot about you. These lady bosses have some sage wisdom for getting creative in the face of uncertainty.
- “It’s hard to juggle being a businessperson with being a creative person. You have to organize yourself.” – Vera Wang, Fashion designer
- “You won’t know until you try. Create without fear. If you mess up, who cares? You learn and move on.” – Michelle McHargue, Partner of Cowboy Ventures
Quotes on Creativity
Part of being a powerful lady boss is embracing creativity and new, unexplored ideas. See how these women feel about voicing opinions and expressing their ideas without fear.
- “Obviously I believe that using crocodile or leather to make a handbag is cruel. But it’s also not modern, you’re not pushing innovation.” – Stella McCartney, Fashion designer
- “It’s easy to kill an idea with a no, but the smartest people in the room learn how to say yes and make it work.” – Lisa Gersh, Goop CEO
5 Ways to Celebrate the Boss in Your Life
To help you celebrate, we’ve outlined some of the best ways to show your gratitude for the guidance of your boss. From custom gifts to small gestures, your boss will feel appreciated and inspired by you!
- Liven up their desk with a bouquet of bold florals or calming greenery.
- Draft a handwritten note to say “thank you” for everything they do.
- Treat their sweet tooth with a homemade (or store-bought) basket of cookies.
- Sign them up for a subscription box that encourages their passions.
- Make a “thank you” video with your team members as a fun surprise.
Whether the lady boss in your life is your manager, best friend or mom, give her the celebration and thanks she deserves. Remind her that you value her guidance and appreciate how hard she works to help you succeed.