Retirement is an exciting time in a person’s life. They have worked hard to build their career and can step back and appreciate how far they’ve come. Not only is it a time for reflection, it’s also a time for them to look forward and spend time with the people they care about, doing the things they love.
Be sure you show your support and appreciation for someone retiring by sending them a retirement message. Whether it’s a close coworker you’ve seen grow over the years or a family member who’s shared their experience with you every step of the way, showing your sentiments by adding a handwritten note to a bouquet of flowers will mean the world to them.
What to Write in a Retirement Card
If you’re at a loss for what to write in a retirement card, not to worry! We have some tips and tricks that will start you off in the right direction. Read through these writing prompts to spark some inspiration.
Share your favorite memory of them
Is there a funny story involving the retiree that you will never forget? Retell it or mention an inside joke that came from the memory.
Write down something they’ve done that has influenced you
Did their support and encouragement help you attempt something you wouldn’t have otherwise? Were you in a tough spot and they helped you out of it? Remind them of a time that they influenced you.
Speak about their best characteristic
What is a great trait they have? How have they showed it throughout their career? Are they honest? Punctual? Dedicated? Whatever it is, they’ll be happy to hear that you appreciate their character.
Plan for the future
Is there something the two of you have talked about doing, but never had the time? Discuss making it happen now that they’ll have more time on their hands.
Retirement Card Messages
If you’re still searching for the right words to pair with a congratulatory gift, here are some messages that will help you portray your feelings. From funny retirement messages to more serious and heartfelt sentiments, there are options for all the special people in your life.
Retirement messages for coworkers
If your coworker or boss is retiring, let them know how much you’ve enjoyed working by their side. Even if you don’t know them well, a meaningful note with small gift can go a long way!
- To one of the best people in the office, congratulations on your retirement!
- You embody hard work and optimism. Thank you for bringing such joy to the office. We will miss you!
- Wishing you a long and enjoyable retirement!
- Best wishes on your next adventure!
- You’ve been promoted to the retirement stage of your life! Congrats!
- Your new KPIs are relaxation investment and happiness return. Happy retirement!
- To one of the best people who has worked at this office: I’m sad to see you go but wishing you all the best in this next stage of life!
- Congratulations on your retirement! Wishing you endless days with your friends and family.
- Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Congrats, you’re now your own boss!
- You’ve inspired me to always stay passionate. A colleague like you is irreplaceable. Happy retirement, it’s well deserved!
- Happy retirement! You’ll be missed but never forgotten!
- Your new quarterly goal: avoiding anything that resembles work! Congratulations on your retirement!
- If you put in as much effort enjoying your retirement as you have working with this company, it is sure to be a success!
- Just because you’re retired doesn’t mean you stop taking coffee breaks. Be sure to schedule me in!
Retirement messages for friends and family
Your friends and family are the people closest to you. Tell them how proud you are of them by sending them a handwritten note with your good wishes.
- May this next chapter of life bring you endless time to do the things you love!
- Welcome to the next stage of your life, where every day is the weekend!
- Now the fun begins! Congratulations on your retirement!
- Wishing you endless days of relaxation. Happy retirement!
- Hope your retirement is as rockin’ as you imagined it would be!
- Wishing you a healthy, wealthy, long and happy retirement!
- No one deserves a retirement as much as you do! Congratulations!
- I’m so happy to see you retire with so many wonderful years left to be enjoyed!
- Congratulations! Wishing you the best of retirements filled with fun and happiness.
- Congratulations on your retirement! When you get bored, I’m only a phone call away!
- Retirement — the only time in your life when it’s okay to spend your entire life savings. Congratulations, you made it!
- I hope retirement brings you the opportunity to fill your time with everything you enjoy!
- When you get tired of your two new best friends, the bed and living room recliner, remember to give your old friend a call!
- Cheers to a happy and healthy retirement!
- You’ve finally retired! You now have all the time in the world to do all those things you haven’t quite got around to. Let me know if you want some company!
Now that you have an idea of what to write in your card, pair your personalized note with a gift they can enjoy in their time of freedom. Try gifting them a plant they can start a garden with or giving them a gift basket to start them on their journey of enjoying the sweeter things in life.