Calling all wine lovers! Don’t miss National Rosé Day, celebrated on the second Saturday of June. This year, the sweet, sweet holiday falls on June 12, 2021.
National Rosé Day is a great opportunity for you to get together with friends and family, crack open a bottle of wine, and enjoy delicious food and drinks out in the beautiful summer weather. It’s a lighthearted holiday that provides a convenient excuse to sip on sweet wine, enjoy savory snacks, and catch up with those you care about.
Want to learn more about National Rosé Wine Day and how it’s celebrated? Read on for all of the details surrounding the holiday’s history and traditions, as well as a list of activity ideas.
When Is National Rosé Day?
National Rosé Day is an annual holiday that falls on the second Saturday in June every year. The holiday lines up almost exactly with the beginning of summer, thus National Rosé Day gives you a good excuse to get out of the house and enjoy the warm, sunny weather.
For 2021, National Rosé Day will take place on June 12. If this is a holiday that you really don’t want to miss, we suggest marking it on your calendar nice and early so you don’t forget. Below, we’ve included the dates that National Rosé Day occurs on for the upcoming years as well:
- 2022 – June 11
- 2023 – June 10
- 2024 – June 8
- 2025 – June 14
- 2026 – June 13
- 2027 – June 12
Additionally, if you like National Rosé Day, you’ll probably enjoy some of the other wine-themed holidays that take place throughout the year. Some of these holidays include:
- National Drink Wine Day – February 18
- National Mulled Wine Day – March 3
- Sauvignon Blanc Day – April 24
- National Wine Day – May 25
- Wine and Cheese Day – July 25
- International Cabernet Day – September 3
- Champagne Day – October 15
History of National Rosé Day
While the history of wine itself goes back thousands of years, rosé wine is a more recent development—at least in America. In the middle ages, European royalty and aristocrats enjoyed rosé as a delicacy. But it wasn’t until the late 20th century that the drink was popularized in the United States. In 1975, Sutter Home Winery released the first American-made rosé, and it’s been growing in popularity ever since.
National Rosé Day was established in 2014, after being officially proposed by the brand Bodvár – House of Rosés. The holiday was created as a way to raise awareness about rosé wine and provide rosé lovers with an opportunity to get together, have fun, and celebrate.
National Rosé Day Traditions
National Rosé Wine Day takes place at the tail end of spring, right before the official start of summer. Appropriately enough, rosé is traditionally a drink that’s enjoyed during the summer, due to both its sweetness and its light look and feel.
So, assuming the weather’s nice, why not take the festivities outside? Sit with friends on the patio or in the yard and take in some much-need sunshine while you sip on your rosé. You can make the day feel even more summery with fresh flowers. Gather some colorful, fragrant flowers together and make a bouquet. Or you could simply shop FTD’s best sellers and get a stunning flower arrangement delivered right to your door!
National Rosé Day Activities
There are so many fun ways to celebrate National Rosé Day. Need some inspiration? Below, we’ve listed a few different ways that you can celebrate National Rosé Day:
- Host a cocktail party. A cocktail party is a great way to catch up with close friends, meet new people, and have a good time! Research rosé wine cocktail recipes online and find a few that sound tasty. Just pick up all of the ingredients you need, find a charcuterie board to pair with your rosé, and invite some friends over to get started.
- Go on a picnic. It’s June, the sun is out, the days are long—so why not go for a picnic to celebrate National Rosé Day? Get some friends together, pick up a bottle or two (or three) of wine, find some delicious chocolates to go with your rosé, and you’ll be all good to go! Head to a grassy local park with a picnic blanket or simply walk out to your own backyard.
- Enjoy an at-home wine tasting. While you could drive to a vineyard or visit a local winery, you can also host a wine tasting in the comfort of your own home. Just purchase a few bottles of rosé wine, lay out some glasses, and get some friends together to take part in the fun! You could even include tasting comment cards for the different wines, so each of you can record your initial thoughts and impressions.
National Rosé Day is your chance to sip on wine, relax, and look forward to the approaching summer. If you’re already a rosé lover, then perfect! You’ll feel right at home on June 12. And if you don’t usually drink rosé, this gives you an opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and enjoy a new drink. Maybe you’ll find your new favorite cocktail or just enjoy time spent with friends. Either way, mark your calendars, because National Rosé Day is a holiday you won’t want to miss.