From the brie and camembert of France to Spanish manchego, Swiss gouda, and sharp Vermont cheddar, there’s a lot of cheese to love, no matter where the world takes you! Whether charcuterie boards are your favorite art form or mac and cheese is your main meal, all cheese enthusiasts can rejoice on National Cheese Lover’s Day.
In this guide, we’ll share some helpful tips to ensure you have a happy cheese lover’s day this year. Read through for a comprehensive cheese lover’s day rundown.
When is National Cheese Lover’s Day?
National Cheese Lover’s Day takes place each January 20th. While the origins of this delectable holiday can’t brie traced, there are plenty of ways cheese lover’s throughout the country make sure it’s a gouda time for all. From cheese markets and merch to restaurant specials and deals, cheesemakers, vendors, and fans each have their own way of honoring one of the world’s favorite foods.
If you’re looking for a meaningful way to pay tribute to this savory and sweet treat, it’s a good idea to start with its history.
As one of the oldest ingredients in recorded history, it’s estimated that cheesemaking likely got its start nearly 10,000 years ago. According to the National Historic Cheesemaking Center, the discovery probably initially happened by accident as humans began to domesticate cheese-producing animals, like sheep, goats, and cows. Around 100 B.C. the Roman Empire began making cheese a dietary staple, with parmesan, gouda, swiss, and cheddar among the most popular. Thousands of years later, the craft of cheesemaking made its way to America, starting from the Northeast then to cheese hub, Wisconsin, and eventually throughout the country.
Today, cheese continues to be a beloved American staple so satiating that it’s earned its own holiday.
How to Celebrate Cheese Lovers Day
From crafting charcuterie baskets and whipping up cheesy recipes to visiting your favorite restaurant to indulge in a National Cheese Lover’s Day treat, there are so many ways to celebrate this delicious day! If you’re still searching for inspiration, check out some of our favorite ways to pay tribute to this tasty treat.
Cheese Lover Deals
What better way to celebrate the manifestation of curds and whey than with a discount? Tons of businesses offer National Cheese Lover’s Day deals to make treating yourself even tastier.
- InstaCart: Order $22 worth of cheese products from brands like Kraft, Cracker Barrel, and Velveeta for free delivery or $5 off of your order.
- Domino’s: Get bread twists, stuffed cheesy bread, certain pizzas, and more for just $5.99.
- The Melting Pot: Join the restaurant’s Club Fondue program to gain access to cheesy perks, like birthday vouchers and cheese and chocolate-themed gifts.
- Whole Foods: Build your cheese board with discounted cheeses and accoutrements from Whole Foods.
National Cheese Lover’s Day deals are different each year, so don’t forget to check in with your favorite pizza shops, cheese markets, and local restaurants to make the most of this special day!
Cheese Lover’s Day Recipes
Whipping up a cheesy concoction is another popular way to enjoy this delicious day. Check out these National Cheese Lover’s Day recipes to start planning out your menu for January 20th.
- This Baked Brie from Food Network is the ideal ooey-gooey appetizer to kick off the day’s festivities. Pair with figs, apples, and pomegranates for a fruity complement to your cheesy main character.
- Refer to Food and Wine’s 35 Ulta Cheesy Recipes for dinner, dessert, and delicious cheese-infused recipes to enjoy.
- Don’t forget dessert—follow The Kitchn’s guide to learn How to Make the Perfect Cheesecake.
More Cheese Holidays
National Cheese Lover’s Day is among 18 other national cheese-related holidays, including:
- Cream Cheese Brownie Day (February 10)
- Cheese Doodle Day (March 5)
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day (April 12)
- Cheese Souffle Day (May 18)
- Cheese Day (June 4)
- Cheesecake Day (July 30)
- Goat Cheese Month (August)
- String Cheese Day (September 20)
- Nachos Day (November 6)
Whether you choose to craft your own cheesy creations, order a holiday meat and cheese delivery, or do both— FTD is here to make sure you have a happy National Cheese Lover’s Day. Browse our selection to find endless combinations of your favorite cheeses, cured meats, accouterments, and more!