Apple, pumpkin, pecan, chocolate cream, lemon meringue…so many flavors of pie! But no pie is delicious without the perfect crust. Just a few simple ingredients but the technique is key to make that pie crust flaky and delicious.
Ingredients for the Perfect Pie Crust
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ Cup butter or shortening (the key to this one is half and half)
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
5 Tablespoon Water (Ice cold)
Recipe for Perfect Pie Crust
I know I know…shortening you say instead of all butter. As much as I hate to admit it as I am a baker that loves my butter, a pie crust needs the balance of both. Butter and shortening have different melting temperatures which allows for a better flakier crust that also keeps it shape (especially if you want to make all those cute piece crust designs with leaf cut outs and such)
- In separate bowl beat egg and add vinegar and ice cold water (cold is very important here so you don’t melt the butter!) Keep in fridge to keep cold
- Sift your flour and salt
- Add your shortening and cold butter cut into pieces
- Next you have a couple options
- Old Fashioned pastry blender OR
- Food Processor
- I went with the old fashioned pastry blender simply because I didn’t want to clean all of the parts of the food processor when I was done. And I got my arm exercise since I didn’t have time for the gym.
- Cut the butter and shortening into the flour with the pastry blender until you keep pea sized pieces – work fast so you don’t melt the butter!
- Bring our your egg, vinegar, water mix and add to the flour/butter mix and loosely stir
- Flip out onto clean counter and form ball – do not knead or overmix!
- Flatten between two pieces of plastic wrap and chill (much easier to roll if you flatten somewhat now instead of leaving in a bowl – this also allows you to stack multiple crusts)
- Chill overnight before using for your favorite pie!