Being romantic is often easier said than done. Sometimes it’s all about being a little more thoughtful to push you in the right direction. Whether you’re married, engaged, or dating, there are plenty of ways to show your love and affection for your partner.
To show you how to be romantic, we’ve compiled 60 ideas to spice up your love life. We’ve categorized these ideas into categories including easy, creative, affordable, spontaneous, and classic ways to be romantic. These ideas will definitely show you how to be romantic with your wife, girlfriend, husband or boyfriend and get them in the mood this Valentine’s Day.
Simple ways to be romantic
- Send your partner a text saying “I love you” first thing in the morning.
- Tell your partner that they look beautiful or handsome.
- Bring home a bouquet of flowers while you’re picking things up at the grocery store.
- Make your partner a cup of coffee in the morning and bring it to them while they’re still in bed.
- Place a single flower on the bathroom sink so that your partner can see it while they’re getting ready for work in the morning.
- When you both come home from work, carve out a few minutes to unwind and give your partner a kiss.
- Spend a tech-free night together without any distractions from your phone, computer, or tablet.
- Go for a long walk one evening to your favorite park and watch the sunset together.
- Spend a night out on the town and dine at your favorite restaurant.
- Give your partner a foot rub after a long day at work.
- Help your partner finish running their errands one day, so that you can free up more time to spend together.
- Spread a blanket out on the grass in your yard and look up at the stars together.
- The next time you’re out at a bar, wink at your partner from across the room while they’re ordering drinks.
- Slow dance in the living room one night (music optional).
Creative ways to be romantic
- Go wine-tasting at your favorite winery and set-up a romantic picnic at the vineyard.
- Let your partner be the car DJ for a day.
- Create a love coupon book as a creative gift for your partner.
- Give your partner control over the TV remote one evening.
- Plan a staycation and book a room at a nice hotel in town. Arrange to have your partner meet you there and surprise them with a bottle of champagne.
- If your partner’s favorite artist is playing in town, pick up a pair of tickets and surprise them the day of the concert.
- Pretend that you forgot about the dinner plans you made last week, and then surprise your partner with reservations at their favorite restaurant.
- Start watching a TV show together and only watch it whenever you’re together.
- Volunteer for a cause together. Dedicate some time at the local animal shelter or do a beach clean up together.
- Send your sweetheart a love letter over a series of postcards, each with a different word or phrase on it. Attach the last one to a bouquet of flowers delivered to their doorstep.
- If your partner’s family lives far away, fly in their closest family members for the holidays.
- Plan a surprise birthday party for your partner by secretly inviting their closest friends that they haven’t seen in years.
- Create a scrapbook filled with photos and mementos (like tickets to the first movie you ever watched together) and document your love story.
- Instead of roses, show your love with a bouquet of peonies, which symbolize romance.
Affordable ways to be romantic
- If your partner had a long day at work, treat them to a nice back rub or massage to help them de-stress and unwind.
- Instead of making coffee at home, check out a new coffee shop that you both haven’t tried yet.
- Have a game night at home playing your favorite childhood games.
- Spend an evening watching your favorite romantic movies at home.
- Pop open a bottle of wine and enjoy cheese and crackers while spending the evening just talking and enjoying each other’s company.
- Have a picnic on the beach and watch the sunset over the water.
- Buy a lotto ticket together.
- Instead of eating out for lunch, make lunch for two instead. Bring it to your partner at work and enjoy a lunch break together.
- Visit your local art museum on an “admission-free” day. Many cities offer locals free admission on certain days of the week.
- Excited about a new movie that just came out? Watch it during a matinee showing and head over to happy hour afterward.
- Get away by spending the weekend camping and hiking.
- Be a tourist in your own city by walking around your favorite neighborhood and visiting a coffee shop or browsing a bookstore.
- Ditch the camera phone and spend a day taking pictures using a disposable camera. You’ll be surprised to see what you’ve captured together!
Spontaneous ways to be romantic
- If it’s been a while, surprise your partner by taking them out for a night of dancing.
- Take your partner for a spontaneous weekend road trip.
- While they’re at work, send your partner a text saying that you’re thinking of them.
- If your partner is making dinner that night, surprise them by bringing home their favorite dessert.
- Bring home a bottle of your partner’s favorite wine to go with dinner.
- While shopping, buy a small gift for your partner like a cute mug or a candy bar that reminds you of them.
- Schedule a day where you both “call in sick” and enjoy the day relaxing together at home.
- Look up different things to do or events going on in your city one weekend and send your partner a list of activities for them to choose from.
- Attach a love note to a piece of chocolate and hide it in your partner’s lunch bag.
- Instead of assuming your partner is free, spice things up by formally asking them out on a date.
Classic ways to be romantic
- Walk your date to their door after spending the evening together.
- Take your partner back to the place where you had your first date and reminisce about how you first met.
- Send your partner a bouquet of romantic flowers at their workplace.
- Spice up dinner at home by making your partner’s favorite dish for dinner and arrange a bouquet of flowers for the table.
- Show your affection by holding hands in public.
- Say “I love you” when you both wake up in the morning.
- Write a thoughtful love letter and use our love note generator for inspiration!
- Surprise your partner with a trail of rose petals leading to the bedroom.
- Treat your lover to an intimate Valentine’s Day dinner at their favorite restaurant. Arrange for a bouquet of romantic roses to be waiting at the table before you arrive.
We hope these romantic ideas have inspired you to be more romantic with your partner. To help you get started, we put together a guide below featuring all of these ideas on how to be romantic. You might even be inspired to show your sweetheart some extra love and affection by sending them a bouquet of classic red roses or a romantic gift this Valentine’s Day.