Birthdays are the perfect time to show that special someone in your life how much they mean to you. Depending on your relationship with the birthday boy or girl, you may express your love in a heartfelt way or in a less serious fashion. Finding the words to write in a birthday card can be challenging, but you don’t have to use your own words to get your feelings across.
Many individuals, both famous and anonymous, have written words that you can easily use to help celebrate your loved one’s birthday. These birthday quotes are funny, inspirational and full of love. The power of words is undeniable, but your gift will be even more sincere when paired with a little something extra such as a bouquet of sunflowers. As long as your birthday gift is genuine and thoughtful, your loved one will surely appreciate the effort you put in.
Let these birthday quotes inspire you and bring joy to your loved one on their special day!
Funny Birthday Quotes
Sometimes, your bond with a friend or family member is based purely on humor, and that’s what makes it so fun! To truly express your love for this person on their birthday, you’ll need to make them laugh. Usually, birthday laughs involve jokes about age. If your goal is to write a funny birthday card for your loved one, these birthday quotes are an excellent place to start:
- “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
- “You’re in mint condition for a vintage model. Happy Birthday!” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.”- Bob Hope
- “Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you are aboard there is nothing you can do about it.”- Golda Meir
- “Age is something that doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese.”- Luis Bunuel
- “Last week the candle factory burned down. Everyone just stood around and sang, ‘Happy Birthday.’” – Steven Wright
- “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.”- Robert Frost
- “Birthdays are a great time to stop and appreciate gravity. Sure, it makes things sag as you get older, but it also keeps your cake from flying all over the room so you don’t have to chase it.”- Greg Tamblyn
- “Inside every older person is a younger person — wondering what the hell happened.”- Cora Harvey Armstrong
- “If you’re yearning for the good old days, just turn off the air conditioning.”- Griff Niblack
- “Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy.” – Author Unknown
- “May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent.” – Irish blessing
Inspirational Birthday Quotes
Inspirational birthday quotes are perfect for a friend or family member. These words will show your love and support without being too sentimental. If the birthday boy or girl is unhappy about another birthday, an inspirational card can motivate them for the future. You can be the friend or family member who picks them up and shows them there’s more to look forward to!
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Life isn’t about your age. Life is about living. So when your birthday comes be thankful for the year that has just past and anticipate with a happy heart what the coming year will bring.” Catherine Pulsifer
- “The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” Madeleine L’Engle
- “There are two great days in a person’s life — the day we are born and the day we discover why.” William Barclay
- “Your birthday is the beginning of your own personal new year. Your first birthday was a beginning, and each new birthday is a chance to begin again, to start over, to take a new grip on life.” – Wilfred Peterson
- “To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living.” – Henri Frédéric Amiel
- “Have you ever considered that your birthday is truly a day of celebration? A day to recognize the special gift we all received on the day you were born; the gift of you. You are appreciated, you are loved. As another year begins for you may you be filled with the thoughts of how special you are to all of us! Thank you for sharing your life with us.” – Robert Rivers
- “If we only do what we’re familiar with, we might miss what we’ve been made for.” – Bob Goff
- “Count not the candles…see the lights they give. Count not the years, but the life you live. Wishing you a wonderful time ahead. Happy birthday.” – Author Unknown
- “Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important. Capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don’t work out, take another shot.” – Author Unknown
Birthday Quotes for Husband or Wife
Spouses may have a difficult time expressing their love for one another on birthdays because there’s so much love to express and the right words are hard to come by.
Birthday quotes are a great way to get a heartfelt sentiment across, because many writers know how to put their feelings into words in a much more eloquent way. These birthday quotes will show your spouse how much you care and will make their special day one to remember.
- “Your smile is cause for celebration. Your love is the most precious gift in the world. Your kisses could light a thousand birthday candles. Happy Birthday to someone who makes life itself feel like a special occasion.” – Author Unknown
- “You make every day feel like my birthday, except I don’t need to blow out any candles because my wish already came true.” – Author Unknown
- “Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, the last of life, for which the first was made.” – Robert Browning
- “Your love envelopes everything I do and think and feel. Happy birthday to my everything!” – Author Unknown
- “Fly free and happy beyond birthdays and across forever, and we’ll meet now and then when we wish, in the midst of the one celebration that never can end.” – Richard Bach
- “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” – Plautus
- “Immature love says, ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says, ‘I need you because I love you.’” – Erich Fromm
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” – A. A. Milne
- “The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough.” – George Edward Moore
- “I wanted to give you all my love for your birthday, but there’s no box big enough to hold it. Besides, it’s already yours.” – Author Unknown
Birthday Quotes for Mom or Dad
Your parents have given you the greatest gift of all and it can sometimes feel impossible to repay them or express how much they mean to you. A birthday is only one day of many in which you’re thankful for their love and support, and these birthday quotes can make it easier to tell your mom or dad how much your appreciate them.
- “There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. Happy Birthday.” – Jill Churchill
- “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape.” – Dave Attell
- “You were there when I was barely able to stand up and speak for myself. You were then even though I have finally learned how to talk and how to walk. And now that I am old enough to fend for myself, you are still by my side, just like a true mother. Happy Birthday!” – Author Unknown
- “Daddy, thanks for being my hero, chauffeur, financial support, listener, life mentor, friend, guardian, and simply being there every time I need a hug.” – Author Unknown
- “May you be gifted with life’s biggest joys and never-ending bliss. After all, you yourself are a gift to earth, so you deserve the best. Happy Birthday Mom.” – Author Unknown
- “I’m as lucky as can be, for the world’s best dad belongs to me.” – Author Unknown
- “My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her. ” – Jodi Picoult
- “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “My dad is my best friend, my father, and my boss. When I do something that is exciting and he likes it, it feels three times as good as you can imagine.” – David Lauren
- “Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that’s why I call you dad, because you are so special to me. You taught me the game and you taught me how to play it right.” – Wade Boggs
Birthday Quotes for Kids
Children don’t always understand what you write in their birthday cards; however, as a parent or loved one, you may still feel the need to show you care. Because children often keep their birthday cards, you can use these birthday quotes to express your love in a silly, yet sincere way. One day, they may appreciate looking back on your kind words.
- “All the world is a birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.” – George Harrison
- “Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of love.” – Maureen Hawkins
- “Don’t try the cake. Go for the icing. Happy Birthday!” – Liam Holland
- “So many good things come in pairs, like ears, socks and panda bears. But, best of all are the set of twins, with extra laughter, double grins.” – Author Unknown
- “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.” – Cindy Gerard
- “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.” – Dr. Suess
- “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
- “Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake!” – Author Unknown
- “A party without cake is just a meeting.” – Julia Child
- “You are never too old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
When you can’t find the words to show your love, don’t feel discouraged. Birthday quotes are an excellent way to express yourself and make your loved one feel special. When it comes down to it, your effort is what’s most important. Be sure to mail a birthday card with their favorite flower, like an orchid, and they’ll be forever thankful.
Use these birthday quotes to express yourself but don’t forget to personalize the message. As Winnie the Pooh says, “How you make others feel says a lot about you who are. Leave them with a smile, a hug, and a kind thought.”